Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Beginning

I'm starting a new chapter in my life, very soon. As in, next Wednesday. I will finally begin the professional career that I've been working toward for what seems like forever.

When I graduated in 2004 with a B.S. in Psychology, I had absolutely no idea what to do next. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do, but I really had no idea how to get from point A to point B, and I wasn't really the type of person to ask around for advice on how to get to that distant point B.

So I just stayed where I was and found a temporary job, working at a daycare I'd worked at before. After about a year, I found a more permanent job, working as a teller at a small bank. It was a fine job, and I made enough money to move out, into a house with a couple of friends. That living situation didn't quite work out, however, and I moved back home (again) and decided what I really wanted to do was become a speech therapist. Now, how I came to this decision, I still don't know. Which is why I hate when people ask me why I decided to become a speech therapist. I just don't know.

But after another four years of college (2 years for a second B.S. and 2 years for a Master's), I'm here, about to begin my first post-grad job as a speech language pathologist. I'll be working in several nursing homes (the politically correct term these days is actually skilled nursing facility, or SNF), which is not exactly the job of my dreams, but it's a good job and it's what's available at the moment.

I'm pretty nervous. Partly because I always expected to be working with children, so this is a huge change in my expectations, I guess. It's taking a while to get used to the fact that I'll be working with the elderly. Another reason for my extreme nerves is the fact that I don't have a lot of experience doing the type of therapy I'll be doing in SNFs. I feel like I'm going to be thrown into the deep end. I will have a supervisor who will be with me the first week and then afterward will be just a phone call away. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me from completely flipping out.

I'm hoping this blog will be a way for me to vent and write through any frustrations that might come up.


No comments:

Post a Comment